Breaking science news and multimedia, heavy on astronomy and physics (and heavy on citing). New vids, pics, articles, and the occasional research post for http://researchblogging.org/

Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Atheist's Nostalgia for Religion

------
Here's Robert Sapolsky, professor at Stanford.
You might have to turn the volume up, he's a little quiet.


MY Nostalgia for Religion:
Something that's not often brought up is the religious nostalgia some atheists feel.  I was raised catholic, and became atheist in my teens.  I remember the security of knowing a benevolent God was watching out for me.  I remember the satisfaction of knowing justice will be done during the sorting of the afterlife.
With pride for humanity I remember thinking the most important of the world's secrets have been discovered; that all the most important truths could never be falsified.  

Then atheist, the weight of the world fell from the heavens to the ground.
I am now incapable of accepting anything by faith.
A Trick:
Over the years, I've found perspective that fills in some of the gaps.  I've found that studying Astronomy and Quantum Theory has finally brought me a sense of belonging in the Universe.  We are all insignificant, but while we're here, lets make the best of it.


 -----Sharing via these buttons will share the current article page, unless your current url is the main page of Astronasty. Click the title of the article to go to an individual article page.
Share Spread the Love

1 comment:

  1. I edited this video down from a longer uncut version that you can find here on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fm_09fPvR4&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments?

Popular Posts This Month

Follow by Email