Breaking science news and multimedia, heavy on astronomy and physics (and heavy on citing). New vids, pics, articles, and the occasional research post for http://researchblogging.org/

Saturday, January 8, 2011

MARBLE RIDDLE

My friend Kurt gave me a logic based riddle he found.  I've been focusing on it for many hours, and I finally solved it.  This is actually why I've missed a couple days of blogging.  Here it is, the Marble Riddle:

You have 12 marbles.  They are identical in size and shape.  One of the marbles is of a different weight than the other 11, either lighter or heavier.  Using a simple scale ONLY THREE TIMES and with only these marbles, isolate the unique marble AND determine whether it is light or heavy.

I wrote out my answer and I will post it tomorrow!  It's a time-eater, I warn you!  Probably the most fun logic riddle I've ever seen.  I'm very proud of myself for figuring out the answer.

A Tip: After developing a strategy, go through it step by step, on paper, to double check and triple check your strategy.  Expect several dead ends.

GOOD LUCK!

Here's the answer post on my blog.
http://astronasty.blogspot.com/2011/01/marble-riddle-and-solution.html


------ Sharing via these buttons will share the current article page, unless your current url is the main page of Astronasty. Click the title of the article to go to an individual article page.
Share Spread the Love

1 comment:

Your Comments?

Popular Posts This Month

Follow by Email