Breaking science news and multimedia, heavy on astronomy and physics (and heavy on citing). New vids, pics, articles, and the occasional research post for http://researchblogging.org/

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Poetry of Science

I ran across this video tonight, and I must say, I enjoyed it more than most of the movies I've seen in the past few years.  It left me with wonder in my heart, and a smile on my face.
Our senses as humans are very limited.  It's easy, when tackling enormous questions, to bring, out of the gates, a SLEW of subconscious assumptions made immediately, comparing everything to ourselves and our experiences.  Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson go back and forth, bringing respectively a biologist's point of view and an astrophysicist's point of view, in this very entertaining speaking event.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to watch that later (This is the first video I've seen that took advantage of YouTube's clip length extension!) but the title reminded me of Symphony of Science. If you've never heard of it, it's autotuned clips of Carl Segan, Dawkins, Hawkings and others set to music... very catchy, very beautiful. I listen to it all the time.

    http://www.symphonyofscience.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you'd say that, because "The Poetry of Reality" is my favorite song by him. I actually posted it here a while back. Use the "search this blog" thingy to the right if you wanna see, but yeah, john of symphony of science is an awesome guy and he's doing something great for the popularization of science. I chose to watch this video Poetry of Science vid for that exact same reason. Funny that we had the same thought pattern. cool!

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments?

Popular Posts This Month

Follow by Email